18 July 2023
PHP usage accounts for over 70% of all websites. The general-purpose scripting language offers various out-of-the box-features for web and app development projects. Moreover, PHP has several mature frameworks that help create robust web applications faster with high scalability and business-oriented features.
CakePHP is one of the best PHP web application frameworks with a Model View Controller (MVC) architecture, in-built validation, unit-testing capabilities, and more. This architecture simplifies development by providing a well-defined structure for large and small-scale applications. But why use CakePHP when several other MVC-based PHP frameworks are available out there?
CakePHP is not limited to the code architecture; the framework offers several vital features necessary for modern web development projects. Web developers can easily build bug-free, well-secured applications using the Cake PHP web framework.
Why Use Cake PHP?
- The MVC (model view controller) architecture of the framework acts as a developer-friendly tool.
- The business logic can be developed and layered separately owing to the MVC structure.
- Cake PHP comes with several in-built security-oriented features.
- The development team has 100% control of the database setting for the web app development project.
- The advanced framework comes with in-built support for unit testing.
- You can use the CakePHP framework to build websites and apps with different PHP versions.
- It facilitates creating search-friendly URLs.
- Cake PHP has an in-built validation tool that lets you check the validity of the software development project.
- Developers can leverage object relational mapping with a CakePHP web framework. Object relational mapping provides the ability to create a bridge between object-oriented programs and relational databases.
How does CakePHP Function?
For developers out there, this is the section for you! The CakePHP framework has a request cycle containing several components. Each request undergoes the following steps:
- The rule gets redirected to index.php.
- The system executes the autoloader and the bootstrap files.
- The dispatch filter handles the requests which is also responsible for generating responses.
- The next step involves the controller calling and interacting with the model and the components.
- Now the view section comes into action generating the response of the body and header via Helper and Cells.
- Now the response is forwarded to the client.
- The controller interacts with the models and views to deliver the response to the end users.
- The process begins with a user-requested web page, and concurrent requests follow each other, passing one after another.
- The dispatcher processes the client requests; post-filtering action, the dispatcher deploys the controlled action and takes up the dynamic data by interacting with the model. Further, the dispatcher takes the components and sends feedback to the view by interacting with the database model. After this, the request is visible in the web browser.
The systematic functioning of the framework makes it ideal to use with PHP object oriented programming language.
What are the Best PHP Frameworks?
PHP was conceived by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994. Post-release of PHP, various frameworks have been developed for easing web development. Below are some of the top PHP frameworks you can use for developing robust web apps.
The open-source framework is available under the MIT licence and offers high flexibility to web development projects. The framework works perfectly for developing both static websites and dynamic web apps.
Laravel is an excellent choice for building large-scale complex projects. The open-source PHP framework offers security-centric features like inbuilt authentication and authorisation, session management and database caching.
Released in 2005, Symfony is a versatile open-source PHP framework ideal for developing several web apps. It uses Twig, a fast templating engine with simple syntax, and also has an inbuilt tool for debugging PHP web development projects.
CodeIgniter is a lightweight PHP framework with a disk space of just 1.2 MB and yet helpful in developing fully-featured web applications. The lightweight size of the framework powers the web app with excellent speed performance.
Top 7 Advantages of Cake PHP for Web Development
The CakePHP framework is open-source, reducing the development project’s technology-bearing cost. Additionally, the fact that CakePHP is an open-source framework boosts flexibility in the project and allows developers to use different programming languages.
Follows MVC Pattern
The web framework has been built on Model View Controller architecture, providing modularity to a web app. The MVC design supports parallel and rapid project development by separating logic and presentation. This makes CakePHP ideal for developing large-scale websites, simple or complex development projects.
Developers do not have to write the same code repeatedly, which offers a faster time-to-market the application. Once you write a code, you can deploy it multiple times across different sections, thus reducing the app development time significantly. Web developers can easily create reusable code parts with Cake PHP.
Mature Community Support
The framework was released in 2005 and became a global PHP sensation. Global developers have mastered this framework, and it’s easier to find assistance when you get stuck. There are various open forums where you can find solutions to your queries.
Promotes Secure-Code Development Practices
The framework promotes the development of secure code for the web application with data validation, security & session management, cookie management, and more. This helps in developing industry-standard projects with modern programming technique. The development can create different validation rules as per the project requirements with Cake PHP.
Unit Testing Support
The CakePHP framework offers extensive assistance in bug-free coding. The framework has handy tools for unit testing application code. Developers can leverage agile methodology for the development project as it supports coding and testing in parallel.
Leverages CRUD Operations
Cake PHP helps in building future-proof web applications with CRUD operations. The CRUD operation in web development refers to Create, Read, Update, Delete practices. CRUD features helps to make quick changes in the code and update the web application with new features.
3 Key Disadvantages of Using CakePHP
- The framework lacks documented support.
- It has a one-way routing structure that is not tied to the other frameworks.
- Developers need to update CakePHP default routes which is a complex process.
CakePHP – Wrapping Up
Choosing the CakePHP open source framework helps you with built-in tools for validation features, core security, and rapid application development.
chilliapple is a Cake PHP development company based in the UK that has delivered a variety of PHP projects to global clients. We customise the technology stack to meet the specific project requirements. This allows us to create feature-rich web applications with high-scalability and optimum performance for our digital clients. For highly scalable web and app development using CakePHP and other frameworks, contact chilliapple for a no-obligation consultation.