16 March 2023
Adobe is ushering in the new age of Magento technology with its pre-release version 2.4.6. The version Magento 2.4.6 is set to be publicly released on March 14th. Get ready to take advantage of revolutionary features, including improved security measures & scalability, along with an enhanced user interface for merchants and customers.
Magento has rolled out a revamp with exciting updates. This version is packed with remarkable features, including support for PHP 8.2 and terminating compatibility for PHP 7.4, OpenSearch as the default search engine, and ElasticSearch 8 integration, making it an invaluable upgrade to those using the platform. With over 300 quality fixes and improvements, Magento 2.4.6 is making waves as the latest version of this powerful eCommerce platform.
Our blog provides an insight into what makes it so special, from brand-new features to much-needed enhancements. Get ready for all that Magento has in store with its cutting-edge release.
Magento 2.4.6 Upgrade performance enhancements
Magento 2.4.6 is now compatible with the high-performing PHP 8.2 and remains fully functional with versions of PHP 8. For continued support of the latest Magento version 2.4.6, you must upgrade your server environment to a minimum of PHP 8.x.
However, if your server is using an older version of PHP 7.4 with Magento 2.4, you must update it to the newest version of PHP 8. Magento 2.4.6 Upgrade does not support the older version of PHP 7.4.
PHP 8.2 amplifies Magento performance and strengthens security with enhancements like improved security enhancements, among others and more!
- Making an object read-only ensures it won’t be manipulated after its initial creation. This safeguards developers from potential breakage and allows them to make their objects publicly accessible in confidence.
- Developers now have a streamlined way of running parameterized MySQLi queries and can safely avoid the risks of escaping user values.
- PHP 8.2 provides enhanced security with its \SensitiveParameterValue object, which obscures the values of sensitive parameters when an exception occurs and prevents them from appearing in any backtraces.
This release offers eight more security fixes and platform improvements that help protect customer data from unauthorised access and keep administrator sessions secure. Furthermore, it has two additional enhancements: reCAPTCHA will remain stable during checkout to prevent transaction interference. At the same time, activities are comprehensively inspected across grid views, mass actions & exports for optimal admin logs coverage.
Performance & Scalability Enhancements
The latest update is designed to improve performance and scalability for customer segment operations significantly. It includes several features, such as
- The option to disable Real-time Check if Customer is Matched by Segment will increase processing speed.
- A new configuration setting limits the number of displayed products to 20,000, increasing product grid performance.
- An improvement in import performances up to 100,000 records per minute and high throughput order processing through load balancing among different nodes.
Magento’s Venia (PWA) has been enhanced to prioritise accessible experiences so everyone can enjoy the store. These improvements focus on making the storefront perceivable, operable, and intelligible for all users:
- Sign-in button now follows an accessible name designation, and page buttons possess descriptive names for improved usability.
- Checkboxes for video search filters now have verbally descriptive labels.
- Additionally, all storefront functions are operable via keyboard commands, allowing everyone to enjoy a smooth experience.
Braintree Payment Method
Magento’s newest release offers exciting enhancements for the Braintree payment method, such as Fraud Protection and ACH webhooks. Additionally, shoppers in Italy and Spain can now take advantage of the Pay Later button & messaging when paying with PayPal Vault.
GraphQL Performance Enhancements
Adobe is introducing several performance enhancements to the GraphQL query language used for Magento 2 APIs. These include improved response times when querying products in categories with category permissions enabled, faster rendering speeds on the category tree, and more efficient bulk cart operations through GraphQL.
Page Builder & PWA Studio Compatibility
Page Builder and PWA Studio have recently been updated, providing compatibility with Adobe Commerce 2.4.6! Upgrade to the new version of 17.3 for Page Builder and 13.0x of PWA Studio today to unlock next-level digital experiences on your platform.
How To Upgrade To Magento 2.4.6?
Use the following instructions to update your Magento store using CLI to version 2.4.6:
1. Go to your Magento installation’s root directory.
2. To update Composer to the most recent version, execute the following command:
3. To upgrade your Magento installation to the most recent version, use the following command:
composer require magento/product-community-edition=2.4.6--no-update
4. To update your Composer dependencies, run the command below:
5. Use the commands below to clear the cache and reindex the Magento store:
php bin/magento cache:clean php bin/magento cache:flush php bin/magento setup:upgrade php bin/magento indexer:reindex
6. To confirm that the Magento upgrade was successful, use the following command:
php bin/magento --version
TIP: Before upgrading your Magento store, ensure your eCommerce agency switches to maintenance mode. This step is critical for preserving the stability of your system and ensuring the safety of any data or configurations stored within it. After upgrading has been completed successfully, remember to re-engage all functions and disable maintenance mode.
Magento 2.4.6 upgrade is an exciting advancement for eCommerce, offering crucial improvements for merchant and developer experience and security benefits. A must-have upgrade process to ensure online stores are kept up-to-date with the latest features and functionalities.
Adobe Commerce 2.4.6 brings many powerful security improvements, but to make sure you’re taking full advantage of them, it’s best to work with a certified Magento Agency like chilliapple. Our talented team provides trusted, proven services when it comes to upgrading and updating any Magento version stores. Our approach is carried out quickly while also adhering strictly to best practices in web development standards that will ensure the continued growth of your online venture with no hindrances or disruptions. Reach out to our experts to see what we can do for you. Contact us today.